Sunday, March 27, 2011

St. Patty's 2011

At the end of my last blog post, I promised a post on my first experience in a pub. Don't get too excited now!!

It all started with a text I got from a friend (Nichole Mora) in our ward (at church). She asked if we had plans for St. Patty's Day, which we didn't, so plans began forming. Nichole said she knew of an Irish pub called the Abbey Pub, that she thought it would be fun to go to. Yay for Irish Pubs!

Well, that night we get to the pub around 7:30 or so and they ask to see our ID... this is where I think, "Awesome, I still have my 'Under 21' ID, how embarrassing." Of course the guy checking does a double take and then says "Oh happy birthday (completely monotone)." He didn't sound too happy for me at all. Must be a great place. HA! So we walk into the back and find Nichole and Ian sitting at a table, and we take a peek at the menu.

I have to admit that I'm not the most adventurous with food, but that's something I'm working on. So I got the hamburger. Brad wanted the Shepherd's Pie, but they were all out, so he stuck with "Corned Beef and Cabbage" (woof), Nichole got the Corned Beef Sandwich, and Ian got the hamburger, with cheese (yes, that is a cheeseburger). Let me mention that both Ian and I ordered the hamburgers "medium-well". As we wait for the food, there was an order of Irish Eggrolls delivered (cornbeef, cabbage, & mozzarella), and of course the beverages, of which Ian's was seriously lacking in flavor.

When the food does finally arrive, Ian takes one look at his burger and sighs; the bottom of the burger is definitely more than "medium-well" done, well done Abbey Pub, a little too well. By the time Ian gets his order fixed the rest of us are about done with our meal. They tried to make him happier by giving him special fries, which he did not like.

Brad and I had to admit that we did not think our meal was worth 15 dollars combined, let alone the 30 it ended up costing us. We all agreed that we were pretty sure that the cooks were just planning on everyone being drunk when they were eating, that way they wouldn't be able to taste (or remember) how horrible it was.

We were glad at least one thing was great that night - the company! We had a lot of fun with the Mora's and I'm glad we had the experience, but I won't be headin' back to the Abbey.... ever again. Not the most exciting of "first time at a pub" stories, but it is mine, so what can I say?


NEXT POST: The horrors of the DMV in Chicago. Now this is one to get excited about ;)

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right about the cook's thoughts...
    I [[HATE]] the Chicago DMV...I spent two whole days there fighting a battle over paperwork. I can't wait to read about your experience!

    ReplyDelete